Canapes are an absolute must for any gathering when you are entertaining. This could be a large family wedding where only the best Canapes in the world will suffice. Or you may want some easy Canape ideas for small summer garden party. This is even more prevalent with the covid-19 as it stands during the summer of 2020.
Whatever your need is you will want the best Canapes for your gathering and this is where we can help. Below we have created a mixture of our favourite Canapes. We have included some easy Canapes to make ahead of the event. These include some fantastic savoury Canapes as well as sweet Canapes that will keep your guests satisfied during the party. All these summer Canapes are some of our favourites and should give you some easy Canape ideas.
1. Cucumber Canapes 3 ways
We have given you 3 canape ideas for using cucumber.
1 tbsp mayonnaise, tbsp tomato ketchup, Lemon Juice, Worcestershire Sauce, Black Pepper, 2 Cucumbers, Flaked Smoked Mackerel, Slice of Bread, Soft Cheese, Dill, Micro Herbs, Chopped smoked salmon, Chives
Cucumber Canapes No 1 – tasty fish canapes
- Mix well the mayonnaise and ketchup and add a few small drops of lemon juice and Worcestershire sauce and mix together with black pepper.
- Take half a cucumber and cut it into ½ inch rings and then scoop the middle out but leave a base.
- Add your sauce to your cucumber cup and add the flaked mackerel to the top with a small leaf from some micro herbs.
Cucumber Canapes No 2 – delicious vegetarian Canape
For this you will need a Chef’s ring that fits around the Canape
- Take half a cucumber and peel it. Slice the cucumber into ¼ inch rings so half the depth of the first Canape. Take each piece and make a hole in the middle of the cucumber piece (like a doughnut!).
- Take a slice of bread and make 4 rings in the bread with the Chef’s ring.
- Spread some soft cheese on each piece of bread. Place the cucumber rings on the bread.
- Finely chop some dill and mix with some cream cheese. Take the mixture and place into the piping bag and pipe a swirl of cream cheese onto the cucumber. Add some micro herbs.
Cucumber Canapes No 3 – our final fish Canapes
- The final Canape is another fish Canapes in the form of a salmon roll.
- Put the chopped smoked salmon in a bowl and mix it with cream cheese, chives and a teaspoon of lemon juice.
- With a whole cucumber, use a peeler to peel a long piece of cucumber. Take the mixture and place it along each cumber piece and roll it.
2. Watermelon Canapes
These make great summer Canapes as they are light and refreshing. They are great cold Canapes to make ahead of the party and the beautiful pink colour makes them look beautiful laid out on a Canape tray. This is also one of our very easy Canape recipes that has few ingredients and can be made very quickly.
- Small Watermelon, 200g blue cheese (we love Roquefort), Lemon Juice, Pesto (fresh is preferable), Walnuts, Micro herbs
- Cut the water melon into small cubes about 3 inches big. Take your cheese and cut into circles roughly 2 inches in diameter and place onto the watermelon.
- Take the pesto and drizzle onto the blue cheese. Then, chop the walnuts into quarters and place on top. Decorate with a small basil leaf micro herb.
- Keep in the fridge until you are ready to serve
- There you have it perfectly easy cold Canapes to make ahead.
3. Sweet potato skins with corn and herbs
Now these are simply the best Canapes as an alternative for normal potato skins and as a bonus are healthier! These are great canape ideas to make in advance and then cooked just before you want to serve them.
Small sweet potatoes, Sweet corn, Natural Yoghurt, Salt & Pepper, Cheese (preferably a mild cheddar)
- Prick each potato and microwave for about 8 minutes until they are fully cooked.
- Carefully slice each potato down the middle being careful not to rip the potato skin. Then scoop out the sweet potato and place in a bowl.
- Add sweet corn and natural yoghurt to the potato and mix together with some salt, pepper and a small knob of butter.
- Take the mixture and place into each of the skins. Sprinkle a small amount of grated cheese on top of each potato and bake in the oven for about 20 minutes until the skin is crispy.
4. Chilled Pea Soup Shots
Great cold Canapes to make ahead of time that taste divine and are one of our great colour summer canape ideas. These are the types of Canapes that will wow your guests. You can use shot glasses for these but if you want to make it more substantial then we recommend small whiskey glasses as an alternative. To make the same number of Canapes though you will need to double the recipe.
300g frozen peas, 400ml of Vegetable Stock, a pinch of turmeric, Fresh Pesto, Almond Flakes toasted, Pomegranate seeds
- Add the peas, stock an turmeric to a pan and heat until it starts to simmer but do not let it boil.
- Blend the soup until it is smooth and strain it into a mixing bowl and leave to cool.
- Once cool pour the soup into shot glasses about ¾ full. Drizzle a small amount of pesto on top and sprinkle some chopped toasted almonds.
- Decorate with a pomegranate seed.
5. Salted Caramel Cheesecake Swirls
Now if you are just serving Canapes for the party (as opposed to a pre-dinner nibble) then no party is complete without those delicious dessert Canapes. Salted caramel is not strictly a summer flavour but here at Chef in my Kitchen salted caramel is acceptable at any time of the year. As with the savoury Canapes we have tried to make the sweet Canapes easy Canapes to make ahead. Actually, the problem with these is not about making ahead, it’s about whether you can keep them until your guests arrive! Don’t let anyone else in the house know you are making these Canape puddings unless you have a lock on your fridge!I
In this recipe we recommend you buy top quality as much as you can with the ingredients
250g Mascarpone Cheese, 100ml Double Cream, 100g White Chocolate, Chocolate Brownie (if you are going to buy brownies make sure they are moist), Salted caramel sauce (make your own where possible)
- Slice your brownies into very small pieces and mush into a sherry glass
- Meanwhile put your mascarpone cheese into a bowl and mix it with the double cream. Melt the chocolate and stir into the cheese mix then add the caramel sauce and stir in gently.
- Pour the mixture on top of the brownie base until glass is about ¾ full. Place in the fridge and LOCK! You now have one of the best Canapes in the world, well according to Chef in my Kitchen anyway!
- Before serving grate some white chocolate and sprinkle over.
- We recommend you make 2 per guest as you can guarantee one will not be enough and you definitely should not be worried about having any left over.
6. Wimbledon Mess
Well, Wimbledon may not be going ahead in it’s usual format this year but this does not stop us enjoying some kind of Mess Canape to accompany a Pimms! Our Wimbledon Mess is just Eaton Mess but with a twist.
Fresh Meringue cases (try to get colourful ones where you can), 300ml Double Cream, Pink Gin, 200g Fresh Strawberries, Fresh Lime
- This recipe can be done in 2 parts but only add the meringue just before serving or it may melt into the mixture and you will be serving Wimbledon mess with no meringue!
- Whip the cream into nice thick folds and add 100ml of pink gin and stir in.
- Chop the strawberries into small pieces and fold into the cream mixture. Place the mixture in the fridge.
- Just before serving lay out your glasses (again recommend sherry glasses to make it a slightly more substantial dessert Canape.)
- Peel the lime into swirls as you will be using this to decorate.
- Crush the meringues up and add to the cooled cream mixture. Spoon into the glasses and decorate with the lime swirl.
So there you have it our Top 6 Canape ideas for your summer party. The hardest part of writing this blog was choosing those 6 as we have made so many delicious Canapes. Do try some of these recipes and do not be afraid to be creative and change some of the ingredients around to add your own twist. If you do then please feel free to post them on our Facebook page using #myCanapes and let us know how they turn out!
If you want help with your canape party then take a look at our canape and bar service and contact us for more information.